Sunday 17 July 2011

Juggling Creative Things

I'm working hard on creating the world of the novel that I'm working on. The thing is I'm trying to juggle creating it from three different directions. You're probably wondering what these three directions are and I'll tell you. They are; creating a language or two, creating the countries themselves and coming up with characters. The three directions are all very complex as well as all three need some form of history and general information. I'm enjoying all three things though which is always good. The thing is that I just keep getting idea after idea relating to each of them and I'm trying to get them all written down. That's the problem with writing, you're forever plagued with ideas and have to find ways to bring them together. I'm just weird in that for any idea I have while I'm working on a project, I'll try to find a way to bring it into the current project. If not I'll just write it down and put it with the other WIPs to use at a later date.
Once again people will probably be wondering, 'why are you putting so much effort into creating a world in such detail?' Readers probably won't see all of what I create, they'll more than likely only see a tiny portion of it but the fact that it is there for me to draw on allows me to write stories at a later date that might draw on other parts of the history of the world. It all also makes the setting seem much more real... well at least as real as a world where trolls and dragons run amuck can be. All this history and interest into how a country has developed; why the towns are the way they are, why there's a specific form of heirachy, how the creatures have evolved over the centuries. All the thought that goes into those things just helps round out the setting and although they're not mentioned right away goes towards making everything a little more real and 3D. That's what I want from my writing. I want people to read my stories and think or know that they could live in that world, that it wouldn't be awfully different to our lives now. It just makes the world that much richer to know that these people have a history, they're all connected through this development over the centuries.
I'm gushing again, I can feel it. I'm probably going to take another of my walks again soon too, bringing a fair few pictures back again that inspire me and I'll also pop them on here. In the meantime I plan on working on my world some more and also on reading lots more fantasy to see if it can give me yet more ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment