Wednesday 21 September 2011

Writing Techniques and lists.

Today, while writing in my journal, I got to thinking about how I write and I realised that I'm too focused on the end product. I write with all the chapters firmly fixed in my head and I can't help but think that that may very well be wrong for me. I tend to write freely, simply writing things as they happen in my head. Trying to fit what I write within a set chapter outline may actually be damaging the quality of my writing as I'm thinking about it to much. Granted I sometimes write large sections of prose from later in the narrative but that doesn't really reflect on the layout of the narrative itself. I can't help but feel then that I should just write and save the chapter divisions for the editting process and later drafts. It's a known fact that more often then not what you write changes the final product. I need to stop living in the future when I write and simply stay in the moment. And that's what I'm going to do.
On to another subject. Lists. I love making lists. Whether it's my day's to-do list, a list of ideas I'm currently working on, listing the pages of sketches for the Sketchbook Project 2012, it doesn't matter. I just love to make lists. I find it helpful and each time I cross something off the list that I've finished I feel this fantastic sense of accomplishment. Looking at a day's to-do list at the end of the day and seeing almost everything crossed out gives me the greatest feeling. It makes me feel that I'm actually doing something with my time. It also helps me figure out priorities for my projects and my day. I've also taken to setting myself monthly targets and as of October I'm going to be sharing these with you. Hopefully I'll have met my September ones by then. We'll have to wait and see. If you find yourself struggling to figure out what to do, either in the day, the month, the week or your life just write a list. It doesn't matter what goes on there, you don't have to show it to anyone but it'll help you know what it is that you want from your life. I intend to do just that.
In other news, I finally got a proper bed at last. I'm still living with my parents, having just graduated from university, and the bed I had previously was simply a fold out frame with a mattress on top. Now I have a proper bed frame with storage under it and I'm starting to FINALLY feel like I'm at home again. I even have a little desk type thing set up at the end of it using an old set of plastic drawers. I'm ridiculously happy about it because I'm weird that way.
Until next time, buh-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment